Salem Public Works Department
The City of Salem’s Public Works Department needs to rezone city-owned land parcels to redevelop a new City Shops Complex that will replace their 50-year-old, antiqued facilities. As part of the process, Public Works needed to engage with bordering neighborhood associations and community members to share rezoning and redevelopment information and gather neighbors' feedback.
They engaged Barney & Worth to work with their team to manage neighborhood outreach in support of the land use application. When COVID-19 made in-person outreach problematic, the team focused outreach online to make it safe and convenient for neighbors to engage.
- Developed neighborhood outreach plan
- Developed online open house with project information, interactive maps, FAQs and feedback forms
- Coordinated online neighborhood association meeting
- Developed multi-channel publicity campaign including direct mail, email, social media and the City website
- Developed required communications, notices and reporting for land use application submittal
- Neighbors could safely learn about the rezoning application, proposed site redevelopment plans, and provide feedback online
- 70+ visits to the online open house
- Establishment of an open and positive dialog between neighborhood association and Public Works staff
- Public Works now has a reusable online space to give updates and engage with neighbors as projects move forward